Antique Clocks/pendulum issue

Question
pendulum
pendulum  
Hello there. I installed a spring and rod and have trouble getting pendulum to move back and forth more than 10 times. It just stops. Not sure if rod has to be low or high? Does pendulum on this 1892. New haven corydon clock have to be heavy or light? I used weights totaling 3 ounces for pendulum is this too much? What is the perfect weight? And also does the rod have to fit snug against that holding rod with the eye

Answer
OK I'll answer the last question first. No, the rod needs to be slightly loose in the hole. Otherwise the rod would bind and friction would stop the clock. 2 oz. would be a better weight. The clock probably will not run because it is out of beat. When you swing the pendulum is it more like tick  tick   tick   tick or tick tick       tick tick. If it sounds like the latter, it is out of beat. The crutch (piece with the hole) is attached friction tight inside the movement. It needs to be moved on its shaft. Push the crutch in the direction of the heavier tick until it stops. Then you should push it about 1/16 of n inch more. There will be resistance this time. This is trial and error until the tick is even. Be gentle doing this. This procedure is hard to explain and you could cause damage. You might start by raising one side of the clock or the other and listen to the beat. If you can get it even, prop up the clock and see if it will run before trying the adjustment. If you get it running, you will need to figure the pendulum length. Take the rod (no hook at the bottom). Straighten a paper clip and wind it around the rod a few times. Put a hook in the lower end of it. Take it off and squeeze it slightly with pliers. It should fit back on the rod very tightly. Now you can put the pendulum on and move the paper clip up and down and seeing how it runs until it keeps time. The higher the pendulum, the faster it will run and vice-versa. Bear in mind, there may be other things wrong that I cannot see on a pic. If I'm vague on anything, please write again.

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber