Antique Clocks/Ranela clock

QUESTION: I have a clock that works it was given to me for Christmas from my father, it was originally from Germany I believe and was given to my grandfather when he was over in Germany during the war. I don't know much about it and would love if you could help me out

ANSWER: It looks like a clock which would be used in a living room sitting on a shelf or mantle. It is quite attractive. If the case is metal, it is probably a zinc casting (this is sometimes called pop metal but it is actually a zinc alloy). If the case is not metallic it is probably bakelite.

From the rear it appears it probably uses a square 3 post movement. Its movement is probably derived from their alarm clock movement. By leaving the alarm function out, they could make the side plats a little smaller as the alarm clock movement would have had 4 posts. Time is kept by a hair spring and balance wheel. The beat rate can be adjusted as indicated on the back (f for faster and S for slower).

You might want to oil the clock if you are going to run it very much to minimize wear. I use regular household or sewing machine oils for this.

QUESTION: Yeah the case is some type of metal it gives a smell of copper or something like that do you know of what era this clock is or why I can't find this at all on the Internet and yes it's a chime clock the windup is on the bottom and my father wound it up 30 years ago and it's just now starting to play creepy haha

I have a clock that looks the same as yours and took off the back to see what was inside. My clock stands 4 1/2 inches tall and I assume yours is larger. Inside is a 7 jewel pocket watch movement adapted to become an alarm clock. For the alarm, they used a music box movememt. It does not work properly and while I am at it I will repair it.  You did not state if your chimed every hour or if it was simply an alarm clock like mine and chimed only once every 12 hours.

It is identified as having being made by Alexa Novelty Corp in W. Germany. The fact it is made in W. Germany indicates it was made sometime between 1947 and 1989 when German reunification occured. If yours days Made in Germany, it would have to have been made before WWII. As you say, it was picked up in the 1940's.

Sorry for the delay, but I had to find some time to dig into my own collector clock for information.

There were a large number of case and specialty clock builders and relatively few builders of movements. In many cases, the movement builder is not identified on the clock and is recognizable only by professionals. Myself, I am an amature repair man as well as a collector and have been reasonably successful at repairing clocks for myself and occasionally for others.

You say it is running "creepy" which means it probably needs to be oiled. Be certain in oiling it you get every friction point. You will probably have to remove the movement(s) to do this.  Household oils such as sewing machine oils are what I use to oil my clocks.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family