Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas clock

Good morning Kenneth,

I would like information on a 298A Seth Thomas clock.  It belonged to my grandparents and it is my understanding that they recieved it as a wedding present in 1913.
It runs well, but requires winding more often than 8 days.  It is an 1/2 hour chime.
In the lower right side there is a small unit that maybe an alarm of some kind,it doesn't wind anymore, but other than that it seems perfect.  There is also a small bell dome mounted to the back of the clock below this small wind up unit.

Anything you can tell me about it would be great.

I have pictures if needed.

Thank you

Les Ames

yes pictures would be great--send to   looks like this Capitol 1095,_S

where do you find the "298A"  ??

the alarm in the lower right has been disabled and is missing the hammer to hit the bell and the wire to connect it to the center dial alarm setting disk

also the paper dial has been replaced and the brass dial pan appears to be a replacement

you might look for a code stamped in ink on the underside bottom?  

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders

Any mechanical clock question - no battery clock questions and no appraisals. 47 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner. Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks

47+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - Of the 7 antique clock experts provided by, you, Mr. Saunders, were the ONLY one who provided the correct answer that allowed me to solve the problem for which I sought help; thanks a million!!! Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score.... Comment - It's happening!! The clock has run for about 8 hours...I appreciate your quick response and clarity of directions. Thanks so much ! Kenneth really knows his stuff, he has the knowledge about where you can buy replacement parts and where to get repair service or do it yourself. I think I can fix it myself and receive the full value of my clock. He even sent me pictures of clocks like mine sold online so I could get a good idea of the value. Thank you Kenneth for responding so fast and making me feel so confident in repairing my own clock. I vote Kenneth Volunteer of the Year.