Antique Clocks/Pendulum Wall Clock.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Wayne

1 Is it possible to design and Construct a Pendulum Wall Clock where the pendulum can rotate 180 degree?. I. E. Inverse semi circle?.

2 Can the pendulum material be a non metal?. Example - Plastic?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: The present day 400 day clocks are almost like this.  They rotate 360 degrees.  A movement would have to be modified to only rotate 180 degrees.

The material for a pendulum can be anything.  It is the weight and distance from the pivot on top that determines how fast or slow the movement will run.  The pendulum has to be heavy enough to make the ratchet wheel engage.

QUESTION: Dear Wayne

Thanks.

Can we experiment Pendulum with different materials for constructing pendulum wall Clocks ?.

Examples - Plastic, Rubber, Glass, Concrete, Wood etc.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
You are asking very general questions.  Please be more specific.  What type of movement do you want to adapt to a different type of pendulum?  Or are you planning on designing your own movement?  As I stated before, you can use any type of material as long as it has the proper weight and the pendulum rod is the correct length for the movement.

Antique Clocks

Wayne