Antique Clocks/Grandfather clock will not strike on the hour

Question
QUESTION: I have an antique Winterhalder & Hofmeier Grandfather clock, it keeps time and the 15 minute chimes work fine but the hour strike is not working.
The switch on the left is on strike selection and the left weight is in the raised position.
Could you give me an idea what to look at to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Mike

ANSWER: cable tangled on the left strike winder drum is my first choice.  check with flashlight and mirror if needed and see how the cable lays on the drum.  advise.........

QUESTION: I checked the strike winder drum and the cable was hung up. I released the cable but the hour strike is still not working. I touched the little butterfly spinning mechanism (not sure what its called) and the hour strike/bong started but it would not stop. It bonged 27 times and then I moved the switch to silent. Clock still does not strike on the hour.
Any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks again,
Mike

Answer
It bonged 27 times and then I moved the switch to silent. Clock still does not strike on the hour.

seems it IS striking on the hour- just will not stop?    do I understand?

could be the rack hook is gummy and will not drop to shut off?  Did it stop after 27 times or is that when you chose to shut it off? could also be a broken pin in the gear train somewhere?

http://ticktocktony.com/Clock-Repair-How-To-Articles/rack-strike-mechanism.html

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders