Antique Clocks/general elctric red eye 30's clock info please.

Question
red eye clock
red eye clock  
Hello I just purchased a GE wall electric clock, school type 15 inch diameter, model 1F412 pat. # 96410, the cord is missing from the back and I was going to try and hook up a cord to it and see if it works. Are there still parts available to fix this clock if it doesn't work and do you know what the value usually is for this clock? I am hoping to make it work and hang it in my workshop. Since it is vintage 30's it will go good with all my vintage automobilia.

Answer
The cord for that clock was probably rubber insulated. Rubber insulated cords are no longer available but the plastic ones look identical. If this clock was built before 1933, it would have had a cloth cord. Cloth cords are available from Antique Electronics supply (tubesandmore.com). The plug would be the old fashioned round type. I know of no source for these except from old lamps, etc.

General Electric bought out the Warren Telechron Clock Company in the 1930's to get into the clock business. They sold parts for these clocks for a good many years but have discontinued the practice. The movement consists of a coil and lamination stack which surrounds the motor. Behind the motor is a gear reducer which then drives the hands. This gear reducer is "sealed in oil". Expecting this clock to still run is as likely as expecting my 41 Dodge Command Car to still run if the oil had never been changed.

I have relubricated many of these Telechron/GE motors by drilling a small hole approximately 1/8 inch from the center of the motor cap. When doing this it is very important to have a sleeve over the drill bit so it does not go in and knock the rotor discs out of alignment. Make the hole large enough so you can insert the straw from a can of carbeurator cleaner. Squirt the cleaner into the motor and gear box until it is about 1/3 full. Hold your finger over the hole and shake it good. I generally prefer to connect up the coil to electric power and let the motor run for a little while with the carb cleaner in it. After I am satisfied that all the gummy oil and varnish have been dissolved, I then drain the cleaner out. A hair dryer is helpful for this as it causes the air inside to expand and push the cleaner out. It may be necessary to let the motor cool and then reheat it. Do this cycle as much as you need to be sure all the carb cleaner has been expelled. Then squirt in some sewing machine oil. I have used ATF also with good success. Put a tiny piece of duct tape over the hole after you have lubricated the movement.

Sometimes these clocks will run for a long time after this has been done. Other times the process may have to be repeated.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams