Antique Clocks/Tander clock

I read your answer to the person who bought a clock like mine at an auction.  We recently moved and I lost the key.  What size does this Tander clock, Bowling Green Lane, London, made in England, clockmakers since 1740 - use?  I need to replace and find keys on eBay but they are different sizes.  Most popular seems to be a 4?

I do not have any tables as to what key size is used in your clock. However, if you order from either Merritts ( or Timesavers ( you can use their tables of key part number versus size and the arbor shaft dimension in mm. This appears on page 56 of Timesavers catalog. You should be able to access this online. Merritts has a table which compares key number with winding arbor size. The American made brass keys are $2.25 each plus s/h. If in doubt of size, I would order a couple and I am sure s/h would exceed the price of the key. If you require a double ended key, those appear on page 58 of Timesavers. The American made keys are priced at $2.50 each. Small end of the key would be used to adjust the beat rate through a small hole in the face on clocks with non accessible pendulums. Both of these organizations have a number of multiple prong keys which resemble the X wrenches for changing automobile tires.

You will probably have to remove at least the face, if not the entire movement, to measure the flat to flat dimension of the arbors. While you are at it you should probably oil the clock. Both Merritts and Timesaves have special oils for lubricating clocks, however, I have had good luck using household oils such as sewing machine oil. Lately I have been using heavier oils such as  motor oil for lubricating the springs. However, do NOT use motor oil on the faster turning parts as it is simply too heavy for this.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family