Antique Clocks/Cuckoo Clock from West Germany

Cuckoo Clock
Cuckoo Clock  
I purchased this clock from a garage sale.  It's a large cuckoo clock that has West Germany engraved on back panel and number 6-72.  Inside is the name E.Schmeckenbecher 25-72. Made in West Germany. There are two other numbers 1884288 and 1892176.  There is one pine chime.  It is not in working order and I'm wondering how much is this clock worth and what would be the cost to make it work? Thanks.

It certainly is a beautiful clock. I would guess the number 672 is a date of manufacture on the part of the movement maker. The marking 25-72 is probably the week and year of manufacture of the case builder. The fact it says made in West Germany means it was manufactured sometime after WWII and before German reunification in 1989.

I would not want to be quoted as to what the clock is worth, but have paid as little as $10. for not working cuckoo clocks. Yours is probably worth more than this because of the elaborate case. I would check with someone who specializes in antiques as to the value.

Once, while visiting a clock shop, I overheard the propriator quote $150 to get a cuckoo clock running. Try to find someone who does the work on site rather than sending it out for the best price. Both Merritts and Timesavers ( ( sell parts for all types of clocks including cuckoo clocks. They would, of course, have the weight you need. They have a table of part numbers versus weight so simply get one that weighs the same as the one you already have. If you cannot get one that looks enough like the one you have, you may have to purchase two so they will match.

There is a possibility that oiling the clock might restore proper operation. Be certain to get every friction point lubricated using an oil such as sewing machine oil. Another alternative is to order some oil from one of the above vendors while ordering the weight.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family