Antique Clocks/winding an able cotty grandfather clock

clock 1970
clock 1970  
We just bought an Able Cotty grandfather clock and would like to see it work. The lady we got it from said it just needs wound. The chime in the middle is attached. The other two chimes are not. One of the chains that the chimes attach to is also unattached. How can we fix this? Do I need to take it to be repaired? Thank you

the 3 items on the chains are simply called weights  not chimes

the middle one powers the ticking and the swinging of the pendulum stick and disk

as shown in the photo - the clock should run - the other two weights and chains power the quarter chime sound and the other on the left the hour strike sound. without the other two hooked up it will not chime or strike.

putting the third chain back on the sprocket gear in the mechanism might be a challenge for you --If you can directly access the side of the mechanism perhaps we can walk you thru it- like if the top of the clock slides off??

But a pro should be able to get it up and running with a house call to your home.  

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders

Any mechanical clock question - no battery clock questions and no appraisals. 47 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner. Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks

47+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - Of the 7 antique clock experts provided by, you, Mr. Saunders, were the ONLY one who provided the correct answer that allowed me to solve the problem for which I sought help; thanks a million!!! Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score.... Comment - It's happening!! The clock has run for about 8 hours...I appreciate your quick response and clarity of directions. Thanks so much ! Kenneth really knows his stuff, he has the knowledge about where you can buy replacement parts and where to get repair service or do it yourself. I think I can fix it myself and receive the full value of my clock. He even sent me pictures of clocks like mine sold online so I could get a good idea of the value. Thank you Kenneth for responding so fast and making me feel so confident in repairing my own clock. I vote Kenneth Volunteer of the Year.