Antique Clocks/German 400 day clock

QUESTION: I have a 400 day clock and am trying to attach the pendulum to the clock and cannot figure out how to do it.

ANSWER: The pendulum is carried on a thin piece of spring steel. This will be 2 o 3 inches long and connected to the top of the movement. Different manufacturers use different methods of attachment. The other end of the suspension spring will have a pin to which the pendulum hooks. These thin springs are easily damaged by transporting the clock with the pendulum attached.

New suspension springs are available from both Merritts ( and Timesavers ( In order to order the correct spring you will need to know the thickness and width of the spring in order to get the correct one. The thickness of the spring determines the beat rate of the clock so it is critical to have the correct one.

I could not tell from the picture if your suspension spring was in place or not.

QUESTION: The spring is attached and is straight I just don't know how to attach it to the movement.

The object you are holding in your hand in the picture is probably the actuating fork. This fastens to the suspension spring and engages the verge. The verge in turn controls the movement of the escape wheel which in turn gives the verge and fork a little push to keep the pendulum rotating. It should be located about 1/2 to 1 inch below the top support block for the spring.

Page 92 of the Timesaver catalog and page 96 of the Merritts catalog show complete suspension assemblies. Please note the pictures are of one particular clock and not of your clock, although they do list availability of many different springs.

The forks clamp to the springs. They may use some form of glue or cement to hold it in place. If it will not stay on I would recommend super glue in the liquid form. Be certain the fork is installed so that it can engage the verge at about its mid point.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family