Antique Clocks/Grandfather Clock

Question
Mr. Sanders,

I have a cornwell 9092 (Montgomery wards) grandfather clock that I can only seem to keep going for about 8 minutes before the pendulum stops swinging.  I did all the checks that were listed in the manual and still no joy.  When I remove the Pendulum and check the "beat" it moves perfectly and non stop (unless the chimes reach the end) but also moves the minute hand almost as fast as a second hand.  I did notice a "hiccup"
of some kind coming from behind the plate where the control arm goes in. I lighty lubed the gears the best I could and it seemed to get rid of the hiccup but I still can't figure out why the thing keeps stopping. I've leveled and releveled and it's almost impossible if not impossible to get the pendulum to not hit one side of the cabinet or the other when leveling it.  Anyway, I just install a new suspension spring too cause the old one was broke...still no joy.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks

Answer
the beat can not be properly checked with the pendulum off--try this stuff and report back:

-The pendulum assembly begins at the top with a 1" two legged suspension spring pinned to a brass post sticking out of the back of the rear movement plate.
  Next a silver(probably) suspension leader about 5" long that hooks onto the bottom of the suspension spring and passes through the "foot" shaped forked brass piece (and must be in the center of the fork slot and not be rubbing front or back) that connects into the inside of the movement. Newer movements have a horizontal bar that fits in the brass suspension leader slot.
  Lastly the top of the pendulum hooks onto the bottom of this suspension leader. NOW if all is correctly assembled, swinging the pendulum will get it ticking. The sound of the ticking must sound even or balanced on either side. Not over-swinging one side or the other.
  If it is not sounding even, then push with your hand the top third of the pendulum over to the side that has the excessive overswing. You may feel some resistance but gently push a bit more then try the sound of the ticking after swinging the pendulum freely.
  If the sound is not improved in the balance then do more pushing -if it is now sounding like excessive swing in the opposite direction then push the pendulum to the other side till it sounds a pretty even tick. Clock should run then. .(There is a little slip clutch that you are adjusting when you push the "L" shaped foot to either side.)
  There are a hundred things that could be wrong- you have just taken a tour through the repair of what is wrong 98% of the time!

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders