Antique Clocks/Unknown clock manufacturer or age

Would you be able to tell me anything about this clock? It has a #24 on the movement. Hermle suspension spring.

It looks like what you have is a Westminster chime clock with a Hermle movement. Hermle is a manufacturer of movements and I have been told they do not build cases for clocks. It should give the country of origin on the movement. If it says West Germany, this would mean it was built before 1989 when German reunification occurred. If it says made in Germany, it would have been built after reunification. I can not tell if it is a pendulum movement or a balance wheel and hair spring movement from the frontal view.

It probably would be impossible to identify the case maker unless there is identification on the back door or on the bottom. There were many manufacture of cases who use Hermle movements throughout the world. It is a rather pretty clock, I do not know if it might be a mantle or carriage clock. Carriage clocks, of course, used hair spring and balance wheel movements as a pendulum would not be compatible with operation in a horse drawn carriage.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family