Antique Clocks/enfield clock pendulum

Question
Hi
I have a Enfield granddaughter clock with westminster chimes it is about 5foot 8inches  tall with it would have been a long pendulum but this is  missing i have tried some pendulums but not found the right one as it is a narrow clock the ones i have tried bang on the side and i am not sure of the lengh the clock pendulum the clock has a arched top and Tempus fugit above the dial
thank you for any help
regards John

Answer
Timesavers  (www.timesavers.com) offers many pendulums in various lengths. You would probably be best off with a wood stick pendulum. Pendulums for your clock are shown on page 85 of their catalog. I would get one that is quite long, hang it and see how accurately it keeps time. If it is going too slow and you cannot adjust it, it is a fairly simple matter to the shorten the stick and try it again.

Beginning on page 77 are various pendulum bobs. You would probably want a smaller one if space is the problem.

Missing pendulums is a very common problem when restoring clocks. I have gone through this experimental determining the correct length many times and have found this is the best way to determine what is needed. It is possible to calculate the length by counting the teeth in all the gears involved in the mesh between the minute hand staff gear and the escape wheel. Of course, it is also necessary to know the number of teeth in the escape wheel. However, counting the teeth is generally quite difficult.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams