Antique Clocks/GE model 2012 repair question

Question
Hello,

I was wondering if you know of any source for parts, specifically the S570 motor for the GE model 2012 plug in wall clock?

thank you for any help you can offer,
chris

Answer
Timesavers (www.timesavers.com) sells a replacement S type rotor for use on GE clocks. It goes by the part number 14521 and priced at $15. each. It has a small pinion on the output shaft which turns 3.6 rpm.

There are two sizes of these rotors and I am not sure which refers to the S type - one is about 1 1/2 inch diameter and the other is 1 inch in diameter. You might email them before ordering to be sure you get the correct part.

They also offer a replacement for the B type which operates at 1 rpm and generally drives the second hand directly. This is not the same as the original motor would be but is simply a replacement for it. It's part number is 20146 and it is priced at $46.50 each.

I have been known to buy old alarm clocks to get the rotors for use in clock radios. These can cost as little as $1 at an estate sale.

If you cannot find this rotor is the right replacement, you could try cleaning and lubricating the old one by very carefully filing a small hole in the case and spraying in carburetor cleaner. Shake it around a bit and then place the coil over it and get it running. Be certain to do this in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors, as this material is very flammable. Then shake the cleaner out of it and squirt in a household type oil such as sewing machine oil. Be certain not to get too much in as the gears should simply dip into the oil and the motor end should be dry.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams