Antique Clocks/Cuckoo clock musicbox repair

Question
my cuckoo inside
my cuckoo inside  
Hello Tom,
    I have a CUCKOO CLOCK 14" MUSICAL CHALET DANCING BAND with a swiss music box.  The locking lever on the musicbox is difficult to depress by the Regula movement and stops the clock at 5 minutes to the hour. What do I do?

Sincerely,
JP

Answer
It sounds like your clock is due for an oiling. Lack of lubrication increases friction and makes it more difficult for the time movement to push the locking pin out of the music box bull gear. To really do it the best way, the time and cuckoo movement should be removed to get at the pivots at the front of the clock. You already have a picture showing the rod locations which activate the music box and the cuckoo bellows. It looks like the movement will come out without having to remove the organ tubes. If you do have to remove them they are generally held in with one screw and one brad. However, I did service one which had glued in tubes. However the tubes did pry loose without being damaged as they did not use a very high strength glue.

There is a possibility the stop for the music box is not contacting the fan quickly enough. Generally, when the pin drops into the hole of the music box bull gear it immediately stops the music box by hitting the fan so it does not bind as tightly into place.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams