Antique Clocks/Regulating a Hamilton carriage clock

Question
The problem is with a Hamilton skeleton clock (7 jewels, 8 day, West Germany, brass, circa 1960, about 4 inches tall). It runs way too fast, gains an hour a day. It's always been hard to regulate (for a couple of years), but recently gave it a light cleaning and lube (with clock oil), and now it goes nuts.  I've had experience over the years with larger clocks with good results.  What did I miss?  Thanks, Neal

Answer
Since you have a small clock, I assume it is regulated with a hair spring and balance wheel rather than a pendulum. I have, on occasion, gotten a droplet of oil on the hair spring which (glued) two turns of the hair spring together. It generally requires either jewelers loop or good magnifying glass to identify this. To correct the problem take a very small piece of paper towel and shear all the edges with a pair of scissors to prevent getting fuzz into the movement. Wick as much as possible into the paper towel. The spring may release when you do this. If it does not release, take a sharp needle and insert it between the turns of the hair spring. Be very careful when doing these two items as it is easy to destroy a hair spring.

The only other thing it could be is a defect in the escapement caused by wear. However, I doubt this is the case as the clock seems run fine other than gaining time.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams