Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas

Barometer & Clock
Barometer & Clock  
Hi Barry, I wrote Wayne the same question,

I have a couple of Seth Thomas items.  I really want to know more about them, and possibly look into repairing them, if it isn't outrageous.  

Clock:  Seth Thomas Corsair E537-000
Barometer:  Seth Thomas - Corsair-B E537-008

I am trying to figure out if it is worth fixing, and possible cost, or if I should just sell them online, and let someone buy them for parts, to potentially fix other people's Seth Thomas clocks.  

The barometer was dropped a slight didstance, and a fine filament, like a light bulb filament, that connects the coiled brass (like in an old AC temp regulator) to a lever broke.  No clue who to go to to fix this.

The clock winds, ticks for a minute or so, and then locks up.  That is with about 6 1/2 turns.  

Finally, are you able to help date these pieces, or provide a date range?  WOuld love to know more about these beauties.  Even what they originally sold for.  I got from my grandparents, so no clue how old they are, or if they are anything special.

Thanks a ton for any wisdom you can share,

Jay Jenckes

322 Park Laureate Dr
Houston, TX 77024

This is a fairly late item - probably 1930's-60's. A Seth Thomas from this era could have a German movement. I can't tell without looking inside. An American movement would be better. Copy and paste this link into your browser. It is completed listings on Ebay. This will show you what people actually paid for Corsairs in the recent past. Get an estimate from a local repairperson and balance that against what it would be worth in running condition. I'm afraid I know nothing about barometers.

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.