Antique Clocks/sears roebuck Tradition

QUESTION: I have a sears roebuck Tradition mantel clock.  It says 67
made in Germany
on the inside of the works in back.

This clock I believe is of the 1971 to 1977 vintage.
Just a nice old mantel clock.
it works
It chimes, Westminster, 4 chime.
BUT it has 3 spindles to wind, on the face.
Could you tell me which is which and for what function.
Like I said, it works well and I wish to keep it that way.  
I don't want to mess up the timing or winding mechanism.  So I asked the experts.

ANSWER: The center arbor is for the time function, this is because the hand shaft and the pendulum are at the center of the clock. On your right as you face the clock, is the arbor for winding the Westminster chime function. The remaining arbor on your left is for the hour strike.

QUESTION: The clock strikes one too many notes on the,3 @ 2.....      8 @7etc.  How would I fix that?  the arbor on the left feels like it has been wound too tight.

If this is a clock that was made in the last 100 years, it probably has a rack and snail movement which automatically co-ordinates the strike with the hands. What usually happens is the hour hand gets bumped when either winding or setting the clock. What you have to do is move the hour hand back to where it belongs and it should run fine. The hour hand is on a slight taper and is driven  by friction by the matching tapered sleeve. After you have it adjusted it is a good idea to push on the hand hub with your two thumb nails.

Clocks that are 100 years or older use a counting wheel movement. If you have one of these, turn the minute hand toward the 12 o'clock position until you hear the movement cock, then back the minute hand up until it strikes. Do this 11 times and it should strike properly. Be certain to turn it ONLY forward and be certain to let it chime its entire cycle before going on. Note on some clocks you may have to do this procedure 23 times if it has a half hour strike.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family