Antique Clocks/Junghans ATO

Clock and dome
Clock and dome  
Serial number
Serial number  
QUESTION: My clock doesn't have a battery but is in amazing shape.  What year would you say the clock is?
It has Roman numerals instead of numbers does that add value because I haven't seen one like this anywhere.   
I will add pics of the serial number also.    What price would you sell this clock for?

ANSWER: If it has no battery, what powers it, a spring?

QUESTION: It just has two wires with loops on each end.    I have not actually seen it function but assume it does because of the physical appearance of this clock.     It looks like the old battery was just removed.    So the clock has great physical appearance but I have not actually seen it function.   There is a brass cover that can be removed from the back of the clock.  I assume the battery used to be under that brass cover.
Would you suggest getting the batter to ask a higher price?
What years is the clock?
What do you think the value is?
Why does this clock face have Roman numerals when most I can find have numbers.

Clocks are always worth more if they are running. sometimes double and even triple the price. Most of my collection was non running clocks which I repaired. I do not know if roman numerals are an asset to the price of the clock or not. They seem to be use interchangeably.

Timesavers (  has batteries for Junghans clocks on page 131 of their latest catalog. Their part number is 10603 which replaces either the #10 or #3 battery. The dimensions of this battery are 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 4 inches. The price is $20. each. The voltage is 1.5.

I saw a clock similar to yours made by Seth Thomas at a flea market. It was priced at $75 and was running. It was powered by a standard D size flashlight cell. As I mentioned before, I would say it is worth about $150 to $300 in running condition. People, including myself, are skeptical about non running clocks. Particularly those with electronic movements. I have been burned a few times thinking I could fix it and could not. Junghans is an extremely well respected name and does send a command of premium price.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family