You are here:



vic wrote at 2009-02-01 19:09:26
There should be a B after the part no. The motor runs to wind the spring, and then should stop. When the spring runs down a switch is tripped to rewind the spring and start the process over.

Vic wrote at 2009-02-01 19:29:47
I forgot to add:It should not run contuniously, only till spring is rewound thus it may be broken. The switch mechanism is located on mainspring housing. It looks complicated but is quite simple. As the spring unwinds it turns a gear with a pin in it. 1 rev of the gear flips a lever closing a contact starts the re-wind process until it flips back. Lots of small parts to do a simple job. The age may be around 1975.

jbstitt wrote at 2009-09-25 13:05:26
I have a wall clock with a Urgos UW 39/5 battery wind movement.  The battery drives a wind motor and DOES NOT run all the time.  It senses when the springs are tight and stops.  Mine has one D cell which lasts about one year.

John Stitt wrote at 2009-10-13 13:16:36
I am curious why it is that we can find really no information on these 39 series (39/2 for the original question and my 39/5)hybrid battery wound mechanical Urgos movements?  It is like all references to these dropped off the face of the earth. A goodle search gets nothing.  I've looked at lots of cross reference lists on Urgos numbers and they are never listed.  You know, I really like mine.  I have the challange/joy of a mechanical movemement but only have to worry about winding (battery change) once a year, and the chimes are purely mechanical sound, no electronic tint to the sound.    There must be more than two of these out there or maybe we have prototype movements - one of a kind ;-)

thomas hughes wrote at 2010-02-25 02:53:20
This movement was in an 'Ethan Allen' grandmother style clock sold in the 1970ies.  My clock has model number 08 3807.  Maybe Ethan Allen would have information in their archives?

Gerald B Crowley wrote at 2016-01-31 21:03:02
I have a Urges movement that winds from a battery also. The movement is in a Ridgeway Grandmother clock bought in the late 60's. The movement is identified as a UW39/1 A

Bill wrote at 2016-11-18 00:17:25
The top movement is called a "floating balance".There is an internal gear that shuts the mechanism off. The Motor is part of the auto wind & chime action. If you find or know of another, I am looking for parts for a Urgos 39/2.  

Antique Clocks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer MOST questions pertaining to clock problems and repair. I cannot answer any questions pertaining to watches, or of that matter. If you would like your clock appraised, I will do the best I can to tell you its current worth, and as for aging, I will be MORE than willing to help you, but please, have photos of your clock to send; it doesnt matter how good of a description you give me, I still need to see a photo of the clock. I also do not have the knowledge of the cosmetic care of clocks. Most clocks are made of wood, but if you need to know an answer about the care of the wood casing of your clock, you may look up other experts on this site, that have the expertise in wood care, and they will be able to help you.


I have been fixing, and collecting clocks for 10 years. I specialize in the repair of cuckoo clocks, 31 Day clocks (both American AND Foreign) 400 Day aka Anniversary Clocks, Most 8-Day clocks, and Most Mechanically driven clocks with a chime (Keywound, or weight powered).

N.A.W.C.C (National Association of Clock and Watch Collectors)


©2017 All rights reserved.