Antique Furniture/Furniture finish repair

Question
Bathroom cabinet
Bathroom cabinet  

Bathroom cabinet
Bathroom cabinet  
I have an old dresser that we are currently using in the bathroom with a vessel sink on top. Someone scratched the top deep enough that I had to try to remove the finish to repair it. I hope that wasn't a mistake. It has Minwax wood finish Mahogany Stain on it and 5 coats of polyurethene on top of that because of the possibiliy of water damage. I have sanded the spot down to wood, I think. As you can see by the attached pics, I can't seem to get the entire area re-stained properly. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to correct this. Just as a footnote, my mother's last name was Klein. I am sure there are millions of people by that name. Just struck me as ironic. Thanks.  John

Answer
i have family in michigan.  an aunt born in grand rapids now living in niles in her 80s.

you are attempting the most difficult repair known to finishers.  a spot repair like this is near impossible.

do the whole top, that is the only way you will like the results.

doing spot repairs like this even for pros isnt easy.

Antique Furniture

robert klein