Antique Furniture/looking for information on cane chairs

Antique Cane Rocker
Antique Cane Rocker  
HI: I have a cane chair and rocker that belonged to my great-grandmother. My recollection is that they came from the Montgomery Ward catalog sometime in the first part of the 20th century, but that is all I know. The chair, which matches the rocker in style (but which I do not have a photo of) has had the seat re-caned (it still needs staining—I need to know what to use to match color); the rocking chair has a 4" tear in the center portion of the back.

Besides the general information, I am somewhat curious what the market price on these two chairs might be, and whether it would benefit me to have the rocking chair repaired prior to selling, should I opt to do so.

Thank you for your kind help.

these were from 1910.  stained to appear walnut but is probably birch or sweet gum wood.

if you are going to sell your grandmothers chairs then do no work on them as you will likely not recover the time spent,  if you are going to keep your grandmothers chairs she left in your care then have them redone and pass them on within the family.

dollar amounts--you will get about 50 each as shown.  staining cane is not easy, best to let it age naturally if you are not skilled in the methods and materials used.  You can end up with a mess if you are not careful.

restoration in my shop would be 400 plus caneing each.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.