Antique Furniture/antique

Question
rocker
rocker  

rocker
rocker  
This nursing rocker was give to my husband by his grandmother. I'm sure it is very old. I have no idea what the wood is or what the seat is composed of. I would appreciate any information you could give me on it's composition and it's approximate value. Thanks so much for your help.

Answer
these aplint seats are usually oak, using saplings that are young and flexible.  the wood is split till it is what you see in the seat.

cant tell wood by color, must see a close picture showing the grain pattern.  most are ash, cherry, oak, hickory and other local woods.

slat back chairs and rockers were all similar yet different.  volumns have been written.

i need a close picture of the wood of the slats and a close picture of the leg where the rung enters.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein