Antique Furniture/Antique chair

Question
Antique Chair
Antique Chair  

Antique Chair 2
Antique Chair 2  
I saved this chair from my mom who was going to put it by the curb. I think it was a rocking chair at some point, but the rockers are gone. Could you please tell me an approximate time period and style for the chair, as well as the value before and after restoration. Also, should I take it to a business to restore, or is this something I could do myself? I have never done any restoration work before. Thanks you.

Answer
it is from the 20s-40s.  the wood is probably sweet gum.  it was a rocker but no longer.

as is the value is low, 20$.  restoration in my shop for the wood only after all the fabric was removed would cost 450 then add the upholstery at another 200 you have 650 inveswted in a chair with less than that in retail value.

however, this might be a good starting point for you to learn.  

simply speaking

remove all fabric, nails, springs down to a naked frame.  learn about adhesives, titebond glue, pva, liquid hide glue, and hot hide glue.  take it apart, clean all joints to be mated, reglue the chair using liquid hide glue or hot hide glue, glue and clamp it up making all things fit tight and use clamps, strip and stain and coat with a shellac or lacquer.  rub between coats of clear coatings to make smooth.

Antique Furniture

robert klein