Antique Furniture/What is considered furniture?

Question
I want to know if their is a rule you use to determine what is furniture.  Do you consider a grandfathers clock, spinning wheels, flax wheels, blanket chest, cedar chests, large baby cradles and foot stools as furniture. I was told if it sits on the floor and supports itself it is considered furniture and if it sits on a table on on a shelf it is considered a small.  Could you tell me your opinion on what is classed as furniture?

Answer
Dear Sue,

It appears that from reading your note, you already have a basic understanding of the
the field.

Furniture can be further broken down into case goods or tables, clocks etc.

Smaller objects are commonly referred to as Small's, using a vase or candlesticks as
an example. If you refer to my website,(below)you can see how I have broken down various
categories for the average person, since not everyone is familiar with words that are
used in the trade.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteeriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III