Antique Furniture/Help with identifying chairs

Question
Oak? chairs
Oak? chairs  
Oak chairs
Oak chairs  
QUESTION: I have never seen chairs like this and would like help identifying the style, period(if any) and the value.

They appear to be made of oak with curved wide slat seats. The joints are loose and they need to be refinished but what a unique design. Any help would be appreciated.

ANSWER: is that a tray/book rack on the back?

QUESTION: No, no tray or book rack, simply the way the chair is designed

Answer
i had thought they were from  school or church with a rack on the rear.  we have seen similar ones that were outside and inside at schools pictured in some things we have run across.

looking further these apprea to be a manufactured chair but are indeed institutional seating, auditorium, conference halls, lodges and such.

about 1930-40.  the gray from the weather can be removed without sanding, actually sanding to remove staining is not a good thing.  oxalic acid wiped on the oak will bring the wood color back to what we generally perceive as oak, if you want that.

some items just do not fit neatly into the accepted partitions of styles, this is one of those nuances.

very nice items, sturdy and built to last.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein