Antique Furniture/Kittinger drop front desk

Question
Kittinger Desk front
Kittinger Desk front  

Front dropped
Front dropped  
I recently purchased this desk at a junk auction. While cleaning the desk, I found the gold Kittinger badge on the inside of the drawer. Researching this name online lead me to your site and I thought you could help. The desk is in excellent condition, and the hinging and locking mechanisms both function perfectly. I am curious if the desk is worth the $135 I paid for it.
Thank you very much

Answer
Dear Roy,

Looking at the design of your Kittinger desk suggests that it was made in the early
1900's, about 1920.

The early Baroque or Jacobean style furniture as it is often referred to, was a
very popular form since the homes that were being built at that time were in the
English Tudor style.

Once the Colonial Revival style homes became popular and furniture companies had
switched to early American designs, your style of desk fell rapidly out of favor,
at least for the folks looking for the latest Colonial styles.

Having dealt in Kittinger furniture for over 40 years now, I have not witnessed a
return of interest. One would think that all the folks with Tudor style houses
would want to acquire it, but the buyers today appear only interested in more
casual style furniture.

I place the value of your desk in the $275- $350 range.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanaionteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III