Antique Furniture/Kittinger Secretary

Kittinger secretary desk
Kittinger secretary de  

Kittinger secretary desk
Kittinger secretary de  
Mr. Harrison,

I have a Kittinger secretary desk.  It has a few condition issues in the finish here and there.  I've tried to show the two most noticeable in the photos.  Can you tell me the wood species this is made of, an approximate value, and any other general information about this piece that might not be obvious?  (I've done some general research on Kittinger and this pattern).

I have more pictures, but was limited to two as you know.

Thank you in advance.

Dear Will,

What you have is a Kittinger CW-1 Secretary/Bookcase fashioned out of mahogany with
pine secondary. It is an accurate reproduction of a Circa 1780 Massachusetts example.

This particular model, taken from the original in Colonial Williamsburg was first created
in 1937 and was a popular seller since it was produced, until 1990 when the old Kittinger
company went out of business.

Although the company has reorganized, it is not making reproductions like this desk no

The demand for this furniture has drifted over the recent years and I have seen the
Secretary sell for as little as $450. to a high of $5,000. In viewing those prices, this
should give you an idea of the limited demand for this pieces today.

It all comes down to finding the right buyer in today's marketplace since all the new
furniture buyers are in search for mid-fifties modern.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.