Antique Furniture/Mersman 7483

Mersman 7483
Mersman 7483  
My grandmother had this table and I inherited it. It's very unusual, apparently, despite Mersman being very prolific. This table is rectangular with a drawer and lyre base. What's unusual is that the top slides over and opens up to increase the table size. My grandmother rarely had it open, but I think it could be a buffet table of some sort.

I took several pix and they are here:  Plus the one I've attached.

Thanks for your help!
ps: I asked this of Chad Boekelheide in General Antiques and he refused the question: "But this is outside of my expertise." If I am asking about an antique table in (somehow?) the wrong category, can you please direct me to the right category? Thanks.

Hi Angela,

What you have is a Neo-Classical or Federal Style Gaming Table, most likely made in
the 1940's. Gaming tables were quite popular in most homes, years ago, since that
is how most people socially passed the time with friends and neighbors.

However today, most furniture of this style has fallen in popularity and can be
found struggling to bringing is worth of perhaps $225. to $250.

With Mersman being of mediocre quality, most of the limited pool of buyers are
looking for finer brands of furniture like Kittinger, Baker and Kindel furniture
since their values are also greatly suppressed in today's market.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.