Antique Furniture/secretary?

opened partialy
opened partialy  
Hello Mr. Harrison, Would you please tell me the aprox. age and value of this piece. I have looked everywhere and cant find anything on this piece.  Thank You  Tom

Hip Tom,

Your piece would be better referred to as a desk, since it does not have a bookcase top,
hence making it a secretary.

It appears to be fashioned out from oak, which was often the case of pieces from the period,
circa 1900 - 1920.  It is almost impossible to assign a maker to the desk since at the time it was made there  were a million different makers in America .  Slowly, one by one, they have all gone out of business.

Just recently, Henkel-Harris has announced that it will be closing it' doors at the end of the year. They were and icon in the furniture manufacturing business, since 1946 and one of the very last furniture makers in America  watching them all disappear over the years.

Todays; value for all of the more formal styles of furniture has declined in the past couple
of years, often difficult to find new buyers since the older folks are selling and scaling
back and the your buyers are consumed with mid-fifties modern styles. I would place a
value of $125. to $150. on your desk to a willing buyer.

Good Luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.