Antique Furniture/west branch novelty co. ceder chest.

opened chest
opened chest  

What is the year made and aprox. value of this ceder chest.It has I believe the words style 2053.
         Thank you for your help

this was made in the 1930s.

the condition of the veneer on the top makes this an expensive restoration which will affect value presently.

to repair this here is what I would do since few people have the skills to properly match and cut in the veneer patches.  what most do is cut out triangles shapes and square shapes then patch in oft mismatched veneer.  the correct way to patch is leave the jagged missing void and cut the patches to match the voids.  that is tricky so what i am going to tell you is an acceptable repair on this piece.

take a straight edge, mark and cut a line about an inch or so from the back edge of the top from left to right, through the veneer.  remove the veneer that you have cut off.  reglue any loose veneer with hot hide glue.  get some walnut veneer or mahogany veneer and cut a strip to fill in the piece you have cut out.  Yes the grain orientation will be at 90 degrees of that left on the top but it will look like it was not repaired if you color and finish it properly.  use hot hide glue and do proper veneer hammering.  you can find out how online and talk to someone,  you may call me if you wish.

as shown it would sell at 50-75.
restoration would be 650-750.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.