Antique Furniture/Duncan Phyfe Table

Question
Duncan Phyfe
Duncan Phyfe  

Duncan Phyfe Brass Claw Foot
Duncan Phyfe Brass Cla  
I am curious if I have an authentic Duncan Phyfe table. There is no signature, however on the underside of the table the number 925 is stamped several times. It also has a leaf (not pictured). I believe the wood is mahogany and the claw feet are brass.

Answer
Hi Meghan,

While it appears that you do not have a period Duncan Phyfe dining table, what you
do have is a 20th century stylized reproduction of a period table. The cast brass
lion's paw feet are a typical feature of this New York furniture from the shop of
Duncan Phyfe.

I am not so sure what your plans are for the table, it appears from your photo that
it has some finish issues and my advise would be to leave it alone if your plans are
to sell the table since restoring the table top properly would exceed the value of
the table.

Presently your table with one leaf has a value of $200. - $275.

Best wishes for the New Year!

George E. Harrison III
www.ameericanainteeriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III