Antique Furniture/Renaissance Style Hall Chair

Question
Front
Front  
Back
Back  
QUESTION: Mr. Klein,

We are unfortunately faced with selling this chair, but do not have any information about it other than it may be an Italian Renaissance style hall chair.  It does have a split in the seat, up the back panel and under one cherub.  I have other up close pictures including one showing 2 screws in the back.  Any information about it's age or wood, advice on repairs and an idea of value or selling price would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

ANSWER: to sell it i would not have it repaired.

I do not deal in european items, American items of furniture are what I know.  However, I have seen items like this in antique malls about a year ago priced at 650 in one and 1200 in another.

try craigs list at 1000 and see what happens.  If it were American made and had age to it I would be able to help.

QUESTION: May I ask what tells you it isn't American and do you have opinion as to its age?

Thank you.

Answer
these come from outside this country.  some from malaysia and indonesia. others from italy and turkey.  the better ones come from belguim and germany, which is where i suspect this comes from based on the carvings.

without seeing up close i cannot pinpoint the age but it is from the third quarter of the 1900s.

age and origin does not make it better or worse neither does age.

Antique Furniture

robert klein