Antique Furniture/antique rocker

Question
antique chair/new bath2012
antique chair/new bath  
Hi George!
I have an antique rocker that I am trying to get information about.  It was in my dad's family at least 80 years .
If you can tell me anything about it from the picture it
would be greatly appreciated !!
THANKS !

Answer
Dear Gerri,

What you have is referred to as an Antique Victorian Platform Carpet Rocker Rocking Chair, made around 1860 to 1880 and are usually made out of Oak. Since the photo is not very clear
and the finish is mottled, it is possible that your chair is made of mahogany, but that is
not a major issue.

As for value, these chairs can usually be found priced from $175. to $300. depending on
overall condition.  From what I can see I would value your chair at the upper end. Perhaps
a good non-invasive cleaning would greatly elevate the appearance and value of your chair
in it's present condition.

Good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III