Antique Furniture/antique rocking chair

antique rocking chair
antique rocking chair  

My mother-in-law bought this chair for $40 today.  We wanted to know around what year this was made and how much it really could be worth.  We're really curious about this chair! Any information you can give us is greatly appreciated!

Dear Yartiza,

Nice find and at a very reasonable price.

What you have is referred to as an American Antique Victorian Platform Carpet Rocker Rocking Chair, made around 1860 to 1880 and are usually made out of Oak.

As for value, these chairs can usually be found priced from $175. to $300. depending on
overall condition.  From what I can see I would value your chair at the upper end.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.