Antique Furniture/Authentic or reproduction Jacobean?

Jacobean close up
Jacobean close up  
Jacobean end table
Jacobean end table  
QUESTION: Dear Robert;
Decades ago I inherited a small end table that was described to me as Jacobean. I've recently become very curious about this piece, and my own (limited!) investigation has me wondering if it is perhaps authentic? It is small (18.5" x 18" x 10.5"), solid, but visibly worn. It has mortise and tenon joints, and pegs that are irregular in appearance; the wood has shrunk and split in places, and pegs are not flush with the surface.
Is it conceivable that this is an authentic Jacobean piece? How would I go about determining the authenticity?

Many thanks for your consideration of this,

ANSWER: jacobean in style for sure.  jacobean period is highly unlikely.  The wood used is not old enough, the grain is not tight enough  ie: rings will be too far apart.

do this and report back please.

thickness of the top
thickness of the aprons

picture of the underneath and how it is fastened to the frame.

regardless, it is still about 100.  will confirm when i get the rest of the info.

Close Up
Close Up  

QUESTION: Hello Again;
The additional information is as follows:
- thickness of the top: .7" or approx. 1.7 cm
- thickness of the apron: .9", or 2.4cm

The top is secured to the frame by 4 corner pegs (see close up picture). In addition, there is one nail per corner (see close up picture, at approximately "7 o'clock" in reference to the peg). Note that there has been a small 'fix' underneath the tabletop that appears to have been added at a later date (the wood is quite different and has been secured with 2 screws) which secures the top to the frame at one end. Not clear if the (above referenced) nails were put in at the same time as the fix or are part of the original. The nails don't have much of a head on them.
I hope this is helpful,

Kind Regards

thank you for the pictures.

In the late 1800s and again in the 1930s there was a trend to make reproductions of this style furniture, actually all jacobean styles from large to small items in England, france, germany and Belguim.  the largest being england.  Most of what we see today are from the latter, the 1930s.  what you have appears to be one of these made around 1880.  

this doesnt make it bad or less desirable.  many shops in this country cry for these items as they are good sellers and many of these items sold as much older than they are.

in a shop here, a good shop, this would sell around 350$.  had it not been refinished it would have sold for m bit more.

a great piece.  the shorter ones are called joint stools and have splayed legs.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.