Antique Furniture/Chairs

A friend gave me these chairs after her fathers estate sale and after I purchased many other of her pieces.  She had them priced really high feeling they had a large value.  Before I take of painting them and such do they really have much value?  The seats are in very good condition. The decals on the backs, which I assumed were added later, are flaking right off.  
How old do you think these chairs are and what can you tell me about them?
Thank you so much!

go ahead and paint the up.

your friend was probably thinking about shaker chairs or pennsylvania tole painted chairs which these are not.

they are great ladder back chairs of a style that we see ofter with machine chairs of the style.

The seats are often the problem as the strands break near the edges.  this can be fixed by reweaving strands into the existing seat and going past the worn or broken areas several inches.

these are usually offered to me at 25 each, priced in antique malls at 45-60 each.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.