Antique Furniture/Determine value of dining room set

Inset leaf table
Inset leaf table  

We purchased this inset leaf table, chairs, buffet and mirror at an estate sale over 20 years ago.  Wondering what style it is (Jacobean?) and how much it is worth if we were to sell it.
There is one captains chair and 5 regular.  I can send more images.

Hi Cloann,

Yes, you are correct with your description of the set being in the Jacobean or
Baroque style.

This particular revival style was very popular in the early part of the 20th century,
up to about 1930. At that point in time we got into the Colonial Revival.  The
restoration of Colonial Williamsburg was greatly responsible, since many of the homes
being built up until that point were in the English and French tastes.

One would think that with the housing stock across the entire country, there would be
a greater desire for this style of furniture.  Unfortunately, it has been my experience
that this furniture goes begging when it comes to the market.

It also should be noted that when one goes to a museum to view antique American
furniture, rarely does one get to see many Jacobean forms since very early American
pieces are quite scarce, like this example at Colonial Williamsburg (see link)

I place a value of the entire set at $1,500. to a maximum of $2,000.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.