Antique Furniture/Help with identifying chairs

A have six leather covered chairs (5 side and 1 captain).
I'm curious as to the age, style how rare and what they are worth?
They are very solid and heavy.
All have the original leather which is in poor condition (specially the  seat area).
To cover up damaged leather and made them usable we made velvet pillows covering.
I can send more pics if necessary.
Any additional info you can provide is appreciated. Than you.

Hi Eva,

Your early Baroque - Jacobean style chairs were most likely made in the 1900 to 1920.  
Since the finish is so dark it is hard to tell if they wee made from Oak or Walnut,
both of these woods being used during that period.

The cost to properly reupholster these chairs can be very expensive. Our shop would
charge $800. per chair and that does not include the covering material.  If you
were to go with leather that would add several hundred more to each chair in the
purchasing of quality hides.

By know I am sure you are beginning to realize why the lions share of furniture being
sold in this country today is from China.  Another issue is that figuring the chairs
value at "0", you will have more money invested in the chairs than what you could
possibly hope to recoup should you wish to sell them. The vale as they sit are worth
perhaps $50. to $75. a chair.

Best wishes with your decision making.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.