Antique Furniture/Kittinger dining table needs refinishing

Kittinger dining room table
Kittinger dining room  
I have an opportunity to purchase a Kittinger double pedestal dining table on rolling brass-covered feet for a few hundred dollars from a family friend. It has two leaves in excellent condition, but the table itself will need refinishing. Any idea how much that is likely to cost? Could my children recover the cost if they sell it eventually?

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your question regarding the Kittinger dining room table.  What may appear to
be a reasonable purchase price to you, of a few hundred dollars,is not.  Most people do not
understand what contributed to the high cost of Kittinger furniture, when new.  It was their
27 step finishing process that set Kittinger furniture apart from all the other furniture manufacturing companies. Like the old kittinger furniture company noted in their factory
catalogs, "It takes us a greater amount of time to finish our furniture than to actually
build it. Sometimes up to a month. Image what the associated costs would be today to make furniture to this standard.

Another very important factor is to find an individual who possess the required knowledge
in the art of fine furniture finishes. I find that the majority of fine furniture re-finishers are dead! With today's labor costs, one can spend several thousand dollars to properly refinish a dining room table, so it does not look  like it has been refinished.  To a person with any knowledge, the most offensive thing is to walk up to a piece of any furniture that shows signs of being refinished. Over the past 40 years I have seen this, too many times.

When this occurs, the value of Kittinger furniture is dramatically diminished and in your
case, perhaps to a couple of hundred dollars. You are far better off waiting for the right
Kittinger dining room table to come along that DOES NOT require expensive refinishing work.

Being an expert in Kittinger furniture for over 40 years, having gained the respect of a
countless number of Kittinger lovers, this is why we only purchase pieces in exceptional original condition. Too many general reseller's think because it has the Kittinger name it
has real value.

One learns after awhile that is not always the case,  Keep in mind, with the age of most Kittinger furniture, I reject about 50 percent of all the pieces that are offered to me,
and that number is going up.

You are wise to ask questions now, rather than be sorry after the purchase.

Good Hunting!

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.