Antique Furniture/Mahogany Buffet by Simmons

I picked up this buffet for free with a broken leg.  My plan was to fix the leg and paint the piece as it was not in the best of conditions finish wise.  I took it to a place to have the leg fixed when I realized it was worse than originally expected.  Long story short I paid $50 and the guy (knowing I was planning to bring him more business) sprayed the piece for me at no charge. Now my once ugly piece I was planning to paint is gorgeous!  My dilemma is I no longer feel right about painting such a pretty piece!  It does not match my design i was gong for in my dining room so I am considering selling the piece to someone who will love it as is.  So I would like to see if you can tell me what it's approx resale value is at this point.  
The label inside the top drawer says Huntley Furniture/Simmons. I can send a picture of this if needed.  
Thank you so much.

Hi Heather,

In the world of used furniture, you have two types of buyers, the retail buyer
and the dealer.

Based on the current market trends, let's call it desirability or the lack there

My opinion is that dining room furniture has been going begging since younger
buyers do not see the need in furnishing dining rooms. They much rather prefer to
furnish their space as a music room, home theater, gym, home office, etc.

So, since the sideboard is not a high-end piece it has a wholesale value of about $200.
and a retail of about $400. This is providing that the repair work was expertly done.

Good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.