Antique Furniture/Roll Top Desk with Face Plate American Memories

Question
roll Top Desk #1
roll Top Desk #1  

Roll Top Desk #2
Roll Top Desk #2  
We have a roll top desk that we are attempting to find information on. We are 99.9% sure that is solid oak. There is a metal face plate that reads "American Memories tm" on the front around the lock area for the roll top portion. Our various attempts to research "American Memories" online has not produced any pertinent results. Can you help provide us with information; manufacturer, date/era of manufacture, original cost new, approximate current value, etc.; or point us in the right direction to obtain such info?

I have attached two pictures & have additional photos available.

Answer
Hi Corianne,

To addresses your questions about your almost new, hot off the griddle oak, rolltop desk.

Perhaps the reason you were unable to find any information about your desk is because
it is a newer reproduction and not very old.  It is an import on the cheap masquerading
as an antique example. Just the title on the name plate says it all, "American Memories".
referring back to the original examples which are fairly readily available today and at
reduced prices, I might add.

About 25 years ago, when the antique examples started to climb in value, it opened the
doors for copies to enter the American marketplace.  Jogging my memory, I do recall
when you could walk into an a low end type antique or curiosity shop and see these
desks sitting around with prices in the $500. range, in hopes of hooking someone.
In reality these desks were invading our shoes at about $100. to $125. peer copy.

Fortunately, today, that market is long gone and so has the interest in the antique
examples, or at the very least, it has calmed down considerably.

In real value I would say $50. to $75. is the rue value of the desk. But then, beauty
is in the eye of the beholder and one can ask any price they wish. But, if you are
looking to make it go away, then do keep in mind what you have.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III