Antique Furniture/4-drawer chest

Question
4-drawer chest
4-drawer chest  

drawer joints
drawer joints  
I would appreciate information about the wood, age, and estimated value of this piece. The locks are original, with carved wood on the outside of the keyhole.  The handles are original. When I bought this 40 years ago, it needed joint repair and the wood had very little color.  The current finish dates from that restoration.

Answer
i cannot tell you the wood species without a clear and in focus picture of the front and inside face of the drawer face to see the grain of the wood.  my guess is that it is tulip poplar.

the date is easy, that joint is called a knapp joint after the inventor of the machine.  also called scalloped and pegged.  it was used from 1880 to 1900 give and take a few years.

these sell at auction around 250-300 with a good smooth finish.  retain in a shop would be higher.

depending on your location it could sell at 400 but the finish would have to be smooth and all the drawers work smoothly and right.

Antique Furniture

robert klein