Antique Furniture/ANTIQUE CHAIR

bottom of chair
bottom of chair  
I have recently purchased four antique pieces. I believe they are authentic Duncan Phyfe pieces or they are very old pieces from the Federal Period.

If you could identify the period and estimated value of the piece. I would appreciate your input. Thank you for your time & knowledge. I will be emailing you the pictures. Antique Chair
dark wood , back of chair low
seat is leather studded over wicker
18w x 28h x15d
Number 7214 placed under seat

Hi Margaret,

Lets first start out by dismissing the thought or assumption that these chairs were made in
the workshop of Duncan Phyfe. In fact, these chairs were made considerably later during the
time of the Industrial Revolution.

Your chairs were mass produced, factory made and bear a stronger resemblance to Hitchcock chairs, but not necessarily made in the Hitchcock factory.

Due to their present condition with damaged cane seats and make-do repairs, their value is
some what minimal. Since I am not able to physically examine the chairs, I also question if the backs of the chairs suffered damage and at some point were cut down.  These chairs would be very uncomfortable chairs to sit in, dramatically reducing any value. I would go as far as to say that the costs associated with restoring the chairs would exceed their value.

As far as the value is concerned, in todays world I place a value of $25. per chair.

Good Luck with them.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.