Antique Furniture/Antique Low Back Windsor Chair or Irish/Welsh Stick Back

Antique Chair
Antique Chair  
Hello George,

I recently picked up an antique chair.  My first question is whether it would be considered a low back windsor or an Irish/Welsh Stick chair.  My next question is what is it's approximate worth.  Please let me know.

Hi Mike,

While your photo does not reveal the details of the legs and stretcher base of the chair,
what I can see is that your chair is rather crude in it's execution. In particular, the flat
plank seat and straight arms.  

When comparing this example, to lets say, a Philadelphia low-back Windsor, with hand-carved
voluted knuckle arms, a hand shaped seat with rain-drip gallery and well turned blunt arrow feet, you begin to see how this particular chair really misses the higher standard.

I have attached a link to a very fine reproduction of a Philadelphia Comb-back Windsor.
A good number of low back chairs were made like this chair particular and are highly sought

As far as  the description of your chair is concerned, I would refer to the basic form as a low-back Windsor, but the term "Stick-Chair" has been used often as well, but not used by
many furniture scholars. Captains chair is another term, also used.

As far as value is concerned, since it is obviously not American and lacking in better form and good form is what makes a superior Windsor, in my opinion the chair falls into a range of
$250. to $350. Keep in mind your marketing area has much to do with the price as well.

Best of luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.