You are here:

Antique Furniture/Buffet with #803 marking


Front view
Front view  

View of top
View of top  
I recently purchased a buffet which I plan to refinish, but I'm curious as to the type of wood, era, maker, etc.  
The only markings I could find were "#803 buffet" in pencil on the back.  Is there any way to identify this buffet?

there were thousands of manufacturers in operation in the 1940s when this was made so without a label there is not way anyone can tell you who or where it was manufactured.

the wood is mahogany and the style is federal.  this classic style has been made for over a century and a half+.

it would have a retail value in a shop of 450/500 depending on the condition.

the marking on the back is an inventory or color and style number.

Antique Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


robert klein


Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.


I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

Past/Present Clients
They deserve privacy, sorry.

©2017 All rights reserved.