Antique Furniture/dining room set

china cabinet
china cabinet  

hello George,
        hopefully you can tell me ,alittle about
what i bought at a garage sale. i bought it for
$175  . did i do good? and what do i have.
please help..should i refinish it?

Hi Miles,

While you certainly did not pay too much, you now want to clean it up, but I would not
refinish it since it is not worth the energy.. It is a lower grade of quality and
perhaps the entire set did not sell for more than what you paid, back in the late 1920's.

As for a maker, it is next to impossible to tell you who made it, not that it really
matters, but it is always nice to know.  The problem is, with the volumes of lower
grade furniture that was made back after the turn of the century, only the very fine
and collectable pieces have been documented.

Look at it this way, do you think in the next fifty years we will be able to document
all of the garbage coming into this country from China? Now that is a scary thought.

Best of luck with your dining set.

George E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.