Antique Furniture/DROP LEAF TABLE

Question
Table
Table  

TABLE
TABLE  
I have recently purchased four antique pieces.
I believe they are Duncan Phyfe styled pieces or they are very old pieces from the Federal Period.
If you could identify the period and estimated value of the piece. I would appreciate your input. Thank you for your time & knowledge. I will be emailing you the pictures.

Thank You,
Margaret Marquez Duncan Phyfe - Mahogany Drop Leaf Table with 1 leaf

It has its original brass caps on the feet. The metal has not been polished.
It is in very nice condition. Detail wood carving on the legs.
It has a double hinge butterfly support
Measurement with leaf fully extended:  29 1/2h x  70w

Answer
Hi Margaret,

Lets me start off by saying that in order for furniture to be considered antique, it must be
at least 100 years old, or older.

What you have is a mass produced, factory made dining table in the Duncan Phyfe style,
produced in the 1940's.  Because of it's folding style, this table was created for buyers
with tiny houses, unlike many of the original pieces that came out of the New York
workshops of Duncan Phyfe that were on a much grander scale, made for clients of
substantial means, back in the early 19th century.

A few details that also give away the lack of quality in the manufacturing process is
the hardware that was used for locking the leaves when in the up position and also the
fact that the hinges were not let into the boards, merely surface mounting them. Just
another way to cut manufacturing costs to a minimum..

As for a value, there are many of these tables in existence and coupled with today's
younger buyers that much rather prefer mid-fifties modern, it leaves your table in the
orphan category for the most part.  1930's - 1940's brown mahogany furniture is in a
free-fall with values that are on a downward spiral.

A table like yours in an estate sale environment would sell for $100. to $150. and companion
chairs in the range of $25. each. Depending on what part of the country you reside, values
can be plus or minus.

I have attached a link for you to view, for educational purposes, so you can see what
a drop leaf table of the period would look like

http://www.americanainteriors.com/catalog/TableCW177.html

Best wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III