I have recently purchased four antique pieces. I believe they are authentic Duncan Phyfe pieces or they are very old pieces from the Federal Period. It is in very nice condition. Detail wood carving on the legs.
A number 98 is stamped under the table 4 times
The number 98 could be the Patent Date dating this piece from 1836.
A stamp was found inside it looks like it says
It has a double hinge butterfly support
Measurement with leaf fully extended:  29 1/2h x  70w
Measurements without leaf: 29 1/2h x   58w
Measurement folded: 29.5 h x 26.5w

If you could identify the period and estimated value of the pieces. I would appreciate your input. Thank you for your time & knowledge. I will be emailing you the best pictures I have of the pieces.

The watertown table slide company in watertown, wisconsin was established in 1889 and incorporated in 1891.  But even without that information i am sorry to say that this is not from the Federal period nor is it an authentic DF piece.  However, this style is timeless and classic, desirable and elegant.  that accounts for its continued success for the last two centuries, up to and including the present time.

Your table is a manufactured item made in the 1930-40s era.  I have seen many of these, perhaps hundreds and have also had the honor to have viewed and touched authentic DF and authentic Federal period tables in this style and similar styles.

The number 98 is a factory stamp that denotes either the style, color, inventory number, or some other proprietary company number.  Possibly and often this is a number placed on separated parts of the whole.  for example, there may be 100 tops and bases with this number meaning that they are interchangeable within the same company.

The top of the table will be mahogany veneer with a secondary veneer cross banded underneath, all covering a lumber core. and the base either mahogany or sweet gum and/or tulip poplar stained from the factory to a mahogany color with a water based dye.

although i cannot see the face/top of the saber shaped legs i am sure they are reeded as was the custom and end with brass or brass plated caps.

I am hoping this does not disappoint, it shouldn't, it is a fine table and i would like to see the pictures of the other pieces.

do you also have insertable leaves?

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.