Antique Furniture/DUNCAN PHYFE DRUM TABLE

Question
TABLE TOP
TABLE TOP  
DRUM TABEL
DRUM TABEL  
QUESTION: I have recently purchased four antique pieces. I believe they are authentic Duncan Phyfe pieces or they are very old pieces from the Federal Period.

If you could identify the period and estimated value of the piece. I would appreciate your input. Thank you for your time & knowledge. I will be emailing you the pictures.
Duncan Phyfe Mahogany Drum Table /  one drawer
Top of table: has wood inlay I believe they are called bookends
and the center has a different kind of wood that is star shaped
One drawer with a circle pull, three legs with brass paw or claw
A number black stamp, 5971 1/2
the dove tails looks hand made
A number black stamp, 5971 1/2
the dove tails looks hand made
Measurements: 25h x  23 3/4w

ANSWER: please provide picture of the dovetails.

I believe you are referring to book matched rather than bookends, however, the style of veneer matching on this table is called slip matched, another very pleasing pattern that differs from book matched.  In book matched, each successive piece is flipped like the pages in a book.  it makes a mirror image rather than identical images as in slip matched.

This is a nice drum table but is from the 20th century around 1940 like the dining table.

I would like to see the underneath of the top and the dovetails.

bottom of table
bottom of table  

dove tails of drawer
dove tails of drawer  
QUESTION: Here is the additional pictures for the drum table. Could you tell me what the black stamp numbers mean?
Also the resale value for the piece? Thank you again!

Answer
These numbers are proprietary to the company.  It would be either an inventory number,  style number or color number.  i cannot read the fractional number but it could be a one over a two meaning it was one of two.

seeing the dovetails tells me that although they appear to be hand cut they are also cut by machine where you can see the vertical cut that is too long.  What we see in early hand cut dovetails are much thinner and also show the layout markings.  This drawer however shows a quality construction.

These tables vary in price, unfortunately there is some water damage on the top at the edge.  Although this can be remedied, to have it done properly will cost a few dollars, however, this is as fine a table as i have seen in this form.  the pie shaped segmented veneer on the top with the central design sets it apart.  I would price it, after repair to the top at 550-600 which is way above the normal tables like this by over three times.  Most drum tables sell at 50-100.

Antique Furniture

robert klein